Spring racing has arrived and this year staying in is the new going out. In the lead up to Sofitel Girls' Day In on Saturday 12th September, 2020, we celebrate the French origin of Sofitel Melbourne On Collins and their ‘joie de vivre’ with this très delicious recipe for French Onion Soup. Make it at home and enjoy while watching a thrilling day of Group 1 racing.
- 2 kilograms onions, thinly sliced
- 100 grams butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 litre beef stock (4 cups) (substitute with vegetable stock for vegetarians)
- 4 x thyme sprigs
- 3 x parsley stalks
- 1 x fresh bay leaf
- 8 x 1cm-thick slices of baguette cut on diagonal, lightly toasted
- 250 grams coarsely grated Gruyère cheese
Makes 6 cups
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Melt butter in a large, wide heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Remove lid and cook for 1 hour or until soft and starting to caramelise.
- Add stock, ½ a cup at a time, and simmer for 5 minutes or until stock has almost evaporated. Repeat three times more until 2 cups of stock has been added.
- Using kitchen twine, tie herbs together, add to onions with remaining stock and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, scraping the base to remove any caramelised bits, for 40 minutes or until thick.
- Ladle soup into 1½ capacity oven-proof bowls and transfer to an oven tray.
- Scatter with half the cheese, top each with two toasted baguette slices and scatter with remaining cheese.
- Place in oven and cook for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Learn more about Sofitel Girls' Day In and how you can celebrate from home here.