Special trains run direct to Flemington Racecourse on racedays.
View PTV Flemington Racecourse public transport map.
Getting to Flemington
Services depart Flinders Street Station (platforms 8 & 9) running express to Flemington Racecourse:
- Every 10-15 minutes 8.17am – 9.37am
- Every 6-7 minutes 9.37am – 1.18pm
Services depart Southern Cross Station (Platform 8) stopping at North Melbourne Station (Platform 2) and Flemington Racecourse:
- Every 10-15 minutes 8.20am – 9.23am
- Every 10 minutes 9.23am – 1.23pm
Services depart Flinders Street Station (platforms 8 & 9) stopping at Southern Cross Station (Platform 14), then North Melbourne Station (Platform 6) and Flemington Racecourse:
- Every 10 minutes 1.25pm – 5pm
Services depart Flemington Racecourse stopping at North Melbourne Station, Southern Cross Station and Flinders Street Station:
- Every 10 minutes 1.36pm – 2.55pm
- Every 5 minutes 3.02pm – 8.55pm
All train services are wheelchair accessible and passengers who need help boarding trains should wait on the platform near the front of the train.
From the corner of Elizabeth Street and Flinders Street catch the No. 57 West Maribyrnong tram to Flemington Drive (stop 30).
Please note, low-floor trams do not run on Route 57 and it is therefore recommended passengers using a mobility aid should catch the train to the racecourse.
Catch Route 472 bus from Williamstown, Footscray or Moonee Ponds to Fisher Parade. Enter Flemington Racecourse via Riverbank entrance.
Catch Route 404 bus from Footscray or Moonee Ponds to Smithfield Road. Enter Flemington Racecourse via Stables Drive entrance.
Public car parks
Limited public car parking is available in the centre car park for $20. Enter off Smithfield Road at the Stables Drive entrance.
Centre car park opening hours:
- AAMI Victoria Derby Day: 7.30am
- Emirates Melbourne Cup Day: 7.30am
- Kennedy Oaks Day: 9am
- Emirates Stakes Day: 9am
VRC Members' car parks
Members' parking in the Unreserved Car Park must enter via Flemington Drive off Epsom Road.
VIP car park
Racegoers should refer to directions provided with their bookings.
View the Flemington Racecourse map - Melbourne Cup Carnival (PDF)
This year at Flemington, there will be 3 designated UberZONES for easy drop-offs and pick-ups. They can be found at the Hill Gate, Elms Gate and the Main Gate. Check your Uber app on the day to find the best zone for you.
Taxis, VHA/B/C vehicles (limousines and hire cars)
Three main Taxi ranks operate throughout the Melbourne Cup Carnival:
- Main Rank (adjacent to Members Turnstiles)
- Riverbank Rank
- Hill Gate Rank (adjacent to Hill Gate entry point)
- Access to the Main Rank is only available via Smithfield Road, Stables Drive. No entry will be permitted via Epsom Road Gate or Members’ Drive.
- Access to the Riverbank Rank will be via a one-way arrangement from Smithfield Road (at Lynches Bridge Gate Entry) to the designated taxi rank at the Riverbank Transport Interchange, then exiting via a left turn at Fisher Parade.
- Access to the Hill Gate Rank is to be from the left lane only of Leonard Crescent which operates one-way for the duration of each raceday. Taxis will drop off patrons or will queue in the designated holding area within the VIP Car Park prior to picking up patrons and exiting back onto Leonard Crescent.
- Taxis and hire cars are permitted to drop off in the infield during the entry phase (Winning Post Enclosure/ Home Straight Enclosure) however during the exit phase no access will be permitted to the infield.
RETURN COLLECTION: limousines, hire cars
Members’ Car Park
VHA/B/C cars and limousines returning at the end of the day to collect patrons will be directed to park in the limousine holding area within the main Members Car Park and will be called down to the patron collection point when their client is ready to depart.
Riverbank Transport Interchange
VHA/B/C cars and limousines returning at the end of the day to collect patrons will enter via Lynches Bridge Gate and will be directed to the Limousine Holding Area and will be called down to the Elms patron collection point when their client is ready to depart.
- VHA/B/C cars and limousines returning at the end of the day to collect patrons will be directed to a holding area within the Showgrounds located adjacent to the Limousine Meeting Point and a short walk from the VIP parking area.
- Entry to the holding area will be via Gate 7 from Leonard Crescent.
- After parking their vehicle in the holding area, drivers can arrange to meet their clients at the Limousine Meeting Point.
- Drivers will need to exit via the Showgrounds, exiting onto Langs Road through Gate 5.
DROP OFF: private and public
A designated drop off area is set up in Langs Road (near the Hill Gate entrance) for private and public drop off. Please note vehciles of this nature without appropriate members’ car park parking passes will not be permitted to enter the racecourse via Epsom Road, Smithfield Road or Lynches Bridge entry.
Members’ Car Park coaches
- A bus parking area for members’ coaches/buses is provided in the wetlands, with access provided via Smithfield Road, at the Stables Drive access.
- Coaches utilising the Members’ Car Park bus parking area will be allowed to park for the duration of the raceday.
- Please note no coach access will be allowed through the Epsom Road Gate and Members Drive Gate.
- Low bridges exist on Epsom Road (3.9m) and Racecourse Road (3.6m).
** No coaches will be allowed to enter the Main Entry Taxi Rank. **
Riverbank Entry coaches (Tourism & Corporate)
During the entry (morning) phase, buses and coaches utilising the Riverbank Entry are to approach from Smithfield Road through Lynch’s Bridge Gate and along the Riverside Road.
- Passengers can be dropped off at one of 8 bus bays provided at the Riverbank Transport Interchange and then exit via the River Bank Gate to Fisher Parade.
- Buses wishing to park all day must return via Ballarat Road and Lynch’s Bridge Gate, and enter via the designated storage area along the riverbank.
- Please note that no passengers are to be dropped off along the Riverside Road.
During the exit (afternoon) phase, a call-up system operates for passenger pick-ups.
- For patron safety and to ease traffic congestion, a maximum of 8 coaches at any one time will be called from the designated coach storage area to the Riverbank collection point.
- Event and traffic management staff will assist in the control and management of the call down arrangements. It is mandatory that coach companies utilising this transport interchange have a passenger manager (or similar) to coordinate the loading of passengers during the exit phase.
- Coaches will not be permitted to wait in the Riverbank Transport Interchange loading bays for patrons to exit the venue, patrons must be waiting in the corralling provided prior to coaches leaving the storage/holding.
Flights depart from Melbourne and land at the helipad/passenger area, at Flemington Racecourse. During Melbourne Cup Carnival, VIP Lexus courtesy vehicles will then transfer from helipad to main entrance.
For more information, contact our exclusive helicopter provider, Melbourne Cup Helicopters on 1300 724 927.
Ferry services for private groups operate from the city centre to Flemington along the Maribyrnong River.
For private berthing information, contact Parks Victoria on (03) 9426 4666.
When booking ferry services outside of Melbourne Cup Carnival, contact Customer Service Centre for information on how to access the racecourse.
View the Flemington Racecourse map - Melbourne Cup Carnival (PDF)
There is no formal dress code for General Admission. Racegoers are encouraged to dress smart for the occasion.
VRC Members have a strong tradition of dressing smartly and appropriately, taking into consideration true racing style. We are proud of this history and therefore have strict dress regulations within the Members' Enclosure to maintain this high standard.
(including children over 12)
Gentlemen are required to wear a suit of tailored slacks (tailored chinos acceptable), sports coat or blazer, plus tie and dress shoes. During the period between 1 December and 31 March jackets may be removed. Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal national dress of their country.
(including children over 12)
Ladies are expected to maintain a suitable standard in keeping with the dignity of the Members’ Enclosure. Younger children accompanied by an adult must be suitably attired. Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal national dress of their country.
As a VRC Member, you have a responsibility to ensure that your guests introduced into the Members’ Enclosure are dressed appropriately, in line with the required dress standard.
View Victoria Racing Club Members' Enclosure Dress Regulations for complete dress code.
The official flower for AAMI Victoria Derby Day is the Blue Cornflower
Purchase your tickets now and save! Early bird ticket pricing valid for tickets purchased on or prior to 17 September 2017. Please note, prices do not include Ticketek booking fees and delivery charges.
*Concession is available to Australian Pensioner Concession Card holders, Full-time Student Card holders, Healthcare Card holders, Disability Concession and DVA Gold Card holders.
** Children under 16 (FREE) must be accompanied by an adult to enter the racecourse.
^Carer accompanying a person with a disability (FREE). Carer must have a Child Disability Allowance Health Care Card, Disability Pension Card or Companion Card.