The VRC welcomes media attendance at the 2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival, with intense interest focused on Flemington from Saturday 31 to Saturday 7 November 2015.
A comprehensive media guide will be published in the lead up to the 2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival, which will offer information on:
- media accreditation information
- race programs
- media contacts
- VRC interview subjects
- online and social media
- Melbourne Cup Carnival sponsor
- Carnival media and social event calendar
- Myer Fashions on the Field competition
- Flemington history and background information
- Melbourne Cup Carnival economic impacts
- Emirates Melbourne Cup statistics
- Emirates Melbourne Cup trophy
- Emirates Melbourne Cup Tour
- Melbourne Cup winners timeline.
Melbourne Cup Carnival media accreditation
Media seeking access to cover the 2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival in a working capacity must submit an application for media accreditation.
Media accreditation provides working media on-site event access to the 2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival.
More information on applying for media accreditation will be released closer to the 2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival.
Please be aware that Flemington Racecourse will be locked down from approximately Monday 26 October until Wednesday 11 November 2015, inclusive.
Any media wishing to access Flemington during this time must be accredited for the 2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival.
Accredited media must then follow the Non-Raceday Media Access to Flemington procedures, which are outlined below under ‘Non Melbourne Cup Carnival Media Accreditation’. Melbourne Cup Carnival media rules will be in place for the duration of the lock-down period.
Non-accredited media can apply to obtain a Day Pass prior to their intended visit by contacting VRC PR Manager Marcus Williams:
- via phone - +61 (0) 3 8378 0729 or +61 (0) 401 000 987 or
- via email - email@example.com.
Any media wishing to access Flemington during the lock-down period must be accompanied by a member of the VRC Media Unit at all times.
Prior to your intended visit, all media must contact:
- Emily Morris, VRC Senior Media and Community Relations Manager, on (03) 8378 0616 or 0438 700 297
- Marcus Williams, PR Manager, on (03) 8378 0729 or 0401 000 987.
While the VRC will endeavour to facilitate media access, requests made in advance are more likely to be accommodated. Please note, not all areas of Flemington will be accessible.
All media who wish to access the racecourse infield for trackwork must obtain approval for their visit in advance.
On approval being granted, media must adhere to the following:
- Parking from Smithfield Road entrance:
- do not exceed 20km/hr speed limit
- motor vehicles must be parked in the external car park (on right prior to the first boom gate)
- motor vehicles MUST NOT proceed through the second boom gate.
- Entering horse area (past second boom gate):
- you must be on foot
- you must give way to horses
- do not approach horses
- maintain a minimum 5 meters from horses
- stay on the left side of horses
- never walk directly behind a horse
- do not make excessive or loud noises that may spook a horse (turn mobile phones to silent)
- you must report to Tracks staff member at entrance to the tunnel prior to proceeding
- you must be escorted on site by a Tracks staff member.
- carry all equipment by hand into the infield
- keep equipment to a minimum
- wheel based cases (e.g. Pelican cases) are not permittedin the infield
- where multiple items and/or items that cannot be carried by hand are required, these must be delivered the day prior (outside of track work hours) and can be stored securely in the infield to use the following morning (you must advise your VRC contact and the Senior Track Manager in advance to arrange access to infield and secure storage). Note: while items will be secured, VRC does not accept cost associated with any loss or damage that may occur to items stored on site.
- hand carried items must be removed when leaving the infield
- multiple items and/or items that cannot be carried by hand must be removed after track work has finished for the day (after 9.30am).
Raceday photographers induction
Photographers wishing to access the Mounting Yard or areas adjacent to the track on any Flemington raceday must organise to complete a Flemington Photographers Induction prior to raceday to gain access to these areas.
Details about Flemington Photographers Inductions for the 2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival will be released closer to the event date.
All other media access
Any media wishing to access Flemington (excluding inducted media attending trackwork), including for photography, filming, interviews, research etc., must be accompanied by a VRC staff member.
Prior to your intended visit, media must contact VRC PR Manager Marcus Williams:
While the VRC will endeavour to facilitate media access, requests made in advance are more likely to be accommodated.